Tyson partners with all of the nation’s major hunger relief organizations, including Feeding America, No Kid Hungry and the Food Research and Action Center. Efforts include:
It is Feeding America’s mission to “feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.”
Since 2006, we’ve been partnering with Feeding America by supporting their programs and donating product to their member food banks across the country. Because protein is the most requested and least available food at most food banks, these donations are especially valuable. In a typical year, we donate about 9 million pounds of product through the Feeding America network.
In addition to our ongoing product donations, the Hillshire Brands Foundation also made a closing gift of nearly $1.3 million to Feeding America, which will establish the Tyson Communities Food Sourcing Innovation Grants. These grants will help food banks serving Tyson communities identify and address challenges related to food sourcing.
For more information about Feeding America, visit their website at http://www.feedingamerica.org, where you can find your local food bank or Map the Meal Gap in YOUR county to know how much hunger exists where you live.
We encourage you to KNOW Hunger in your community and share that information with others. Awareness is the first step to ending hunger. And, as our friends at Feeding America say, “Together We Can Solve Hunger.”™
Share Our Strength / No Kid Hungry
“No child should grow up hungry in America, but one in five children struggles with hunger. Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign is ending child hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need, every day.”
When we formally announced Hunger Relief as our primary philanthropic focus in 2000, our first national partner was Share Our Strength. Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry Campaign has one main priority: End Child Hunger in America. And we couldn’t agree more.
Over the years we’ve provided support to Share Our Strength in various ways, including:
- National sponsor of “Operation Frontline” (now Cooking Matters), a program designed to teach families how to prepare affordable, nutritious meals.
- National No Kid Hungry Starts with Breakfast partner.
- Supporter of No Kid Hungry Blogger Network.
- Tyson Foods’ “Powering the Spirit” Campaign, which raised more than a quarter of a million dollars for Share our Strength through Team Member-sponsored fundraisers and sales of our Team Member cookbook.
We continue our support of No Kid Hungry this year with a new partnership, providing support for a program to create innovative solutions for providing after school meals.
In April of this year, we hosted a few No Kid Hungry bloggers at Tyson Foods.
Meet Becky, author of the Two Bite Club, for more about her trip to Northwest Arkansas and why she’s a No Kid Hungry Blogger: http://www.thetwobiteclub.com/2015/04/im-no-kid-hungry-blogger-why-i-care-and.html
For more information about the No Kid Hungry Campaign, visit www.nokidhungry.org,
National FFA Organization
- In 2014, Tyson became a supporter of the National FFA’s Organization’s Feeding our World, Starting at Home Hunger Platform, an educational movement to help students and teachers understand the issues and effects of domestic and global food insecurity.